Over the past week I’ve been experimenting with doing more manipulation of the source image before transforming it geometrically — increasing the color saturation and using brush effects. It started with a series of English Setter pictures that I enhanced with a watercolor technique. Then, using similar techniques, I tried manipulating the color and texture of some of my favorite source images. I found that patterns made from them gained new interest at both extremes of detail. Overall, the color was more interesting. And at the closest detail, the brushy texture created complex and fascinating figures.
Here is “Round Black and Red Construction” (coming up with names for these things is killing me!). And below are details showing some of the brushy effects.
The background image is a repeating pattern from the same source, but with reduced contrast.